Over the last couple of decades the media has highlighted stories of bullying and violence in schools. Some students who were socially isolated and bullied, returned to their schools to commit acts of violence, and/or to take their own lives. Although extreme, these cases riveted our attention to the tragedies born from social isolation.
Unlike loneliness, which is a feeling, social isolation is a state of being. A person can feel lonely within a crowd, but a socially isolated person is totally separate from other people.
A child or adolescent might be shy or have a distinctive physical appearance, disability, gender identity, racial background, or many other factors that cause them to be singled out by their peers. They will not be accepted, and other students will refuse to associate with them, so as not to appear uncool.
Humans are social creatures, and social relationships, especially in adolescence, are significant to a young person’s self-image as well as overall health and well-being. Students that lack positive relationships or experience negative peer pressure on a constant basis become distressed, disconnected, and isolated. Research shows that children and teens that suffer this isolation are more likely to have negative psychological, emotional, and physical effects, and are more likely to engage in conflicts and risky behaviors.
Ways isolation can affect children and teens:
- Physical symptoms – aches, pains, headaches, illnesses (immune system is weakened) worsening of medical conditions
- Mental health conditions – risk of depression, anxiety, paranoia, panic attacks
- Low energy – exhaustion, lack of motivation
- Sleep problems – unable to sleep, frequent waking during the night, sleeping too much
- Diet problems – loss of appetite, over-eating, sudden weight gain or loss
- Substance abuse – increased consumption of alcohol, medications, drugs, cigarettes
- Negative feelings – hopelessness, thoughts of suicide
Bio-Touch has been shown to relieve symptoms related to social isolation. While not a substitute for standard medical care, Bio-Touch is an effective complement to medical protocols. Family members and friends can learn to help each other feel better using Bio-Touch, without being concerned about negative side effects.
This workbook includes the basic sets of points that you will need to address symptoms of social isolation. It is best used with the entire training manual, which is available on our website.