Depression is much more than simply being unhappy. Clinical depression is a complex mood disorder caused by various factors, including genetic predisposition, personality, stress, and brain chemistry.
Some forms of depression may develop under unique circumstances. For instance, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that is affected by the weather and time of year. Postpartum depression can occur in women following the birth of their babies.
Potential triggers of depression include:
- genetic or family history of depression
- psychological or emotional vulnerability to depression
- biological factors such as imbalances in brain chemistry and in the endocrine/immune systems
- major stress in the person’s life.
Women are nearly twice as likely as men to be diagnosed with depression. Many hormonal factors may contribute to the increased rate of depression in women, particularly during times such as menstrual cycle changes, pregnancy and postpartum, miscarriage, pre-menopause, and menopause.
The main symptom of depression is a sad, despairing mood that:
- is present most days and lasts most of the day
- lasts for more than two weeks
- impairs the person’s performance at work, at school, or in social relationships.
Other symptoms of depression include:
- changes in appetite and weight
- issues with sleep– too much or too little
- loss of interest in personal cleanliness, work, hobbies, people, or sex
- withdrawal from family members and friends
- feeling useless, hopeless, excessively guilty, pessimistic, or having low self-esteem
- trouble concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
- crying easily or feeling like crying but not able to do so
- thoughts of suicide (which should always be taken seriously)
- losing touch with reality, hearing voices (hallucinations), or having strange ideas (delusions).
Bio-Touch has been shown to help ease the symptoms of depression. While not a substitute for standard medical care, Bio-Touch is an effective complement to medical protocols. Family members and friends can help each other feel better using Bio-Touch, without being concerned about negative side effects.